The 2012 Award of Excellence was presented to Pat Porterfield, RN, MSN, CHPCN, a leader, mentor and role model in the field of palliative care.
Ms. Porterfield has been in the field since 1981 with her involvement in the development of the Lions Gate Hospital Palliative Care Program. Since then Pat has fulfilled many roles, most recently as the Regional Leader, Palliative Care for Vancouver Coastal Health, from which she has now retired.
Ms. Porterfield’s list of accomplishments is lengthy, among them are:
- She sat as Chair of the Vancouver & Richmond Palliative Care Coordinating Committee from 1996-2006
- She has taught an undergraduate palliative care nursing course for 15 years at the University of British Columbia’s School of Nursing and an interprofessional palliative care course for eight years in UBC’s College of Health Disciplines
- She has contributed to a long list of publications and research initiatives
- In 2008, Pat taught and mentored palliative care in Belize where she advised and supported outreach programs in remote areas
- Pat was the first non-physician to be awarded the annual Peer Recognition “clinical excellence” award by the Medical & Dental Society of Vancouver General Hospital
- In 2012 Pat also received the BC Hospice Palliative Care Award of Excellence
Pat is described by her peers as having a warm and positive can-do attitude. She uses this attitude to inspire others and works hard to persistently pursue excellence.